Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Don't Want to Grow Up?

By : Rachel Zupek

Kids are always so anxious to grow up. They want to skip through their adolescence and teenage years, moving straight into adulthood. We see this when our parents beg us to stop trying to grow up so fast. We see it in movies like "Big" and "Freaky Friday," which show kids going from adolescents to adults overnight, or children trading places with their parents.

One of the things I remember wanting the most when I was younger was getting a job in "the real world." Nothing seemed cooler than dressing up in a suit and high heels, carrying a briefcase and working in an office of pretty people, with whom I would go out after work to have a cocktail and talk about the day's events. If only someone had told me -- correction -- if only I had listened that real life and the real world aren't that glamorous.

Now that I am working in "the real world" I know that living alone, earning my own paycheck and being an adult are empowering, sure. But, looking back, I wish I would have listened to my parents when they told me to enjoy my youth.

Presumably, I'm not alone in my wish to turn back the clock and be a kid again. But since that's not likely to happen, the alternative would be to find a way to relive the years of our youth some other way -- in our jobs.

If you don't feel like growing up any time soon, here are five jobs that will keep you young at heart:

1. Toy tester

Think about it: It's like playing for a living. Who can argue with that? Remember Tom Hanks in the movie "Big"? He plays the adult version of a young boy who wishes that he could be -- well, big. He wakes up the next morning to find himself as a 30-year-old man. He ends up landing a job perfect for the 12-year-old soul living inside him: testing children's toys for a major toy company.

Salary: $63,999/year*

2. Concert venue worker

Working in a concert venue -- whether it's as a security guard, ticket taker or food vendor -- you'll get to see the latest and greatest music acts and hear "what the kids are listening to these days." Plus, some of the greatest artists of all time have been touring around the globe recently including Elton John, U2, AC/DC and Billy Joel. Cavorting with icons from your youth is sure to bring back many a memory.

Salary: Various

3. Camp counselor/director

Do you have fond memories of going away to summer camp when you were younger? Give other kids the same great memories by working as a camp director or counselor. You can organize fun things for everyone to do -- including you.

Salary: $15,263/year

4. Bartender

I don't know about you, but my hangovers get worse with age. It's always refreshing -- and somewhat depressing -- to listen to college students talk about their nights out, and even more so to watch them do it. Grab a part-time gig as a bartender and give those college revelers your favorite shot -- maybe you can take one with them.

Salary: $26,641/year, plus gratuity

5. Coach

It's amazing how many of my friends obsess about their "glory days" -- aka, when they could run, kick, punt, pass, dribble, dunk and score without breaking a sweat. You know what they say: if you can't beat 'em; join 'em. If you find yourself a little too stiff to play your favorite sport, find a team to coach and teach all those kids a thing or two.

Salary: $49,024/year
Rata Penuh
Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment