Friday, July 30, 2010

Should You Turn Your Passion Into Your Full-Time Job?

By : Barbara A.Philips

It's great to feel passionate about your work. For many, it's a personal goal. But sometimes when you land that career in the field of your passion, it wasn't what you thought it would be. Wha - what?

What happened?

I, for one, am passionate about writing, but I could never write for a living. I tried that once and found when I turned the passion into a "job" - it became drudgery. I then had to take all kinds of writing assignments I would have never taken when writing was just a fun hobby, and I had freedom to write about whatever I wanted. When I turned my passion into a job, I had to write about what other people would pay for so I could have the income I wanted. I remember even taking a job writing in great detail about toner cartridges because it paid well.

Yes.

Toner cartridges.

Believe me, it wasn't worth it. I thought I would drown in my tears of boredom before that job was over.

Sometimes a passion or hobby should stay just that... something you get to enjoy in your downtime. A creative release. A way to express yourself.

Before you quit your day job to pursue your passion, take some time to imagine you have already done so. Ask yourself:

* What does it feel like to do this 8 hours each day?
* What will it look like when it is no longer a hobby but a job I am required to do to pay my bills?
* Will I feel the same joy for this passion working under a boss?
* If I turn this into a career, what will I do for fun?

You might save yourself a wrong decision, like an exercise in toner cartridges!

Job Vacancy , Indonesia Job , Job Indonesia

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment